Erratic speedo

If you've just joined the forum why not post here, and introduce yourself to us all.
Bongo

Re: Erratic speedo

Post by Bongo » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:29 am

In addition to the above, if you have a grease gun, whack some inside the speedo drive where the cable enters at the front wheel. They do dry out & are expensive to replace

Allen

Post by Allen » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi

Speedo cable replaced. Odometer still working OK as before. Speedo erratic. Went straight up to 60 from the off and stayed there regardless of speed for a while...... and then went up higher. Did not come back to rest at standstill. Came down a bit when I thumped the glass a few times.

PeterJDay

Post by PeterJDay » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:23 pm

It looks as thought the speedo is duff. The magnet may have become loose on its shaft and shifted upwards, or the needle shaft dropped. There are people who will test a speedo and then take it apart, fix and calibrate it. I've never used one so I cant give you a steer as to which ones are good. BUT, before you do anything else, make sure that the cable inner is correctly engaged at both ends.
Ride Safe, Live Long & Prosper

Allen

Post by Allen » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:46 pm

Thanks, Peter
I tested the speedo with an electric drill and it performed nicely - no jumping, steady increase and decrease in speed. Cable is definitely seated at the wheel end - and connected just as it was for the electric drill test to the speedo ....

PeterJDay

Post by PeterJDay » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:50 pm

It's a long shot, but you could try checking that the cable inner isn't too long.
Ride Safe, Live Long & Prosper

Bongo

Post by Bongo » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:58 am

Allen, can I suggest you remove the front wheel and check the Top Hat shaped drive which locates inside the speedo drive housing?
Many don't know or forget when they put the front wheel back on after a tyre change to slowly spin the gear 360° pushing onto the wheel until it clicks.
If this is not done, the top of the 'hat' bevels out and would give the behaviour you suggest.
If it is bevelled, use a pair of long nosed circling pliers to remove the retaining ring and replace the top hat drive, about £8-10 from Kawasaki.

Allen

Post by Allen » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:38 pm

Finally sorted. The problem was with the speedo itself. I sent it to a great guy who fixed it.... he can be contacted at guageman1@gmail.com. The main input bush came out in pieces, apparently. due to that bit moving from side to side. He stripped it down and re-bushed with a repair to the drag assembly. The speedo was orginally in kph and the kph-mph converter adds a huge leverage to the input stub because of its length, so the cable must run as straight as possible into the drive. The speedo didn't survive 2 weeks from when I bought the bike from Metric Cruisers (aka Phil's Motorcycle Mall). Other than that and the wrong Longshots being on the bike - resulting in a burned boot - and a leak from the sump plug, I think it is now as it should be. Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions - very much appreciated.