import or uk bike

Info, photo's, tech spec, road tests.... etc
CDNRatMan

Re: import or uk bike

Post by CDNRatMan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:42 am

PeterJDay:
You are correct on all your counts, but I picked up a set of front signal/marker lights from a 1500, and they are now mounted on the rear of my 800 and so I have front and rear marker/signal lights, and a 1157 bulb is the answer to that.

PeterJDay

Post by PeterJDay » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:06 am

1157 (AKA 318) is the physical size and fitting. You lucky people over the pond have more manly, macho filaments than the weedy things we have in the UK. Next time I'm in the US I.m going to pick up a box full of your bulbs - HMG and the EU both legislate that I can't do this in the vehicle lighting and promulgation regs, but they can go and stick a dead badger up their collective bums.
Ride Safe, Live Long & Prosper

Bongo

Post by Bongo » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:50 am

And.... European Drifters are left hand drive of course! ;-)

PeterJDay

Post by PeterJDay » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:47 am

Deleted

PeterJDay

Post by PeterJDay » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:59 pm

... and the US bikes only have one bulb in the headlight; there is no small low-wattage bulb used as a "side-light" or "parking-light" as fitted to EU bikes.
When the ignition-switch on a US bike is in the "Park" position the rear and number plate lights are illuminated, but there is no light on at the front, the amber marker lights remain off. On an EU bike the "Park" position lights the rear light, number-plate light and the side-light / parking-light.

The US headlights cannot be switched off, the light is either on dipped beam or main beam (except when it's set off by a relay during starting).

As a consequence of the above there is no headlight switch on the right hand switch cluster of a US bike, there is only the starter-button and the red engine kill-switch.